Join us Saturday, September 25 and get engaged with arts and culture! Workshops & demonstrations are FREE. Donations welcomed and support future community arts programming.
Explore the visual arts through these fun, interactive workshops. Pre-registration required.
Art Journaling with Gail Short
September 25 | 9:30-11:30
An opportunity to learn about the art of Sketchbook Journaling. Gail Short will exhibit examples of the journals she has created over the years and share her experiences in making them. Appropriate for anyone 12 and older. Materials will be provided for you to make your own journal to take home with you. To register, call 250-542-6243 or drop by the Arts Centre today!
Glass Bead on the Torch with Patricia Doyle
September 25 | 10 min sessions between 10:00-12:00
Using a propane torch and a rod of Italian glass, spend 10 minutes and make a glass bead. Beads can be picked up at the end of the day. Participants must be 16 or older. All material will be provided. To register, call 250-542-6243 or drop by the Arts Centre today!
Fused Glass Tile with Patricia Doyle
September 25 | 1:00 or 2:00 or 3:00
Create a small, fused glass tile in this one-hour workshop. Projects will be available for pick up the following week. Participants must be 7 or older, and anyone under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. All materials will be provided. To register, call 250-542-6243 or drop by the Arts Centre today!
Intro to Fabric & Fibre Art with Emily Fraser
September 25 | 2:30-3:30 and 3:30-4:30
A chance to learn about Fibre & Fabric Art. Take inspiration from found and recycled fibre to create abstracts, echoes, memories, and landscapes. Follow the fibre and see where you end up! All ages welcome. All material will be provided. To register, call 250-542-6243 or drop by the Arts Centre today!
ARIST TRADING CARDS
Drop in any time between Sept 24 and Oct 23 and trade cards!
Artist trading cards are miniature works of art, similar to baseball cards, that are created, traded and collected around the world. The Arts Council of the North Okanagan invites artists of all abilities and artistic styles to create miniature works of art and bring them down to the Vernon Community Arts Centre where we will have a special trading wall available from Friday, September 24th to Saturday, October 23rd.
Rules and General Etiquette:
1. Card size needs to be 2.5 x 3.5 inches (6.35 x 8.89 cm) but the orientation can be landscape or portrait.
2. Cards can be created with any media, materials or techniques, but hand drawn and hand painted are typical you you generally want the art to be flat. Card stock, watercolour paper, mixed media paper work best.
3. Please sign and date the back.
4. If the work is created by a child, please note the age of the artist on the back.
5. Cards are always traded and never sold, and it is never ok to trade another artist’s card. For this event, trade them in person, or put them on the trading wall. Leave one, take one.
6. Put your best effort into the card. It doesn’t have to be a professional piece of art but you want it to be original and done to the best of your ability.
7. Have fun, and feel free to make multiple pieces and return to see the wall evolve over the month. Maybe you’ll be lucky to pick up a card from one of your favourite local artists!
8. Use #vernonarts on your social media when you drop off and exchange works so we can have fun seeing what people are creating and collecting!
Drop in any time for some fun and inspiring art demonstrations.
Community Art Project with Megan and Charley
September 15 | 10:00am to 1:30pm
Drop into the Arts Centre any time between 10am and 1:30pm and take part in a fun, interactive and collaborative art project. Under the guidance of two VCAC instructors and local artists, you will explore creating texture and patterns with paint, mediums and found objects while adding your personal touch to large community-made art mural. Pre-registration is not required.
Flower Pounding Artist Demo with Christine Kashuba
September 25 | 12:00-2:00
Drop into the Arts Centre between noon and 2pm and watch local artist Christine Kashuba turn fresh blooms and greens into works of art. From a selection of flowers, stems and leaves she will demonstrate the process of pounding organic materials into pre-treated fabric with a hammer. Watch in awe as nature releases its natural dyes and colours!
Foam Printing Demo with Svetlana Shkuratova
September 25 | 1:30-3:30
Foam board printing is an easy, accessible, and all-ages-friendly printmaking technique. Watch as local artist and VCAC instructor Svetlana Shkuratova demonstrates how images are scratched, carved, or pressed into Styrofoam to make a ‘printing plate’, and then used to transfer ink onto paper for making a fine art print. Drop in any time between 1:30 and 3:30. Registration is not required.
Screen Printing Demo with Christine Kashuba
September 25 | 2:30 to 4:30
Explore the world of screen printing with local artist Christine Kashuba. Step by step, you will see how ink is pressed through a stencilled mesh screen to create a printed image on paper or fabric. This is the perfect introduction to one of the many printmaking classes offered at the Vernon Community Arts Centre and a technique used extensively throughout a wide range of industries. Drop in any time between 2:30 and 4:30. Registration is not required.