Born and raised in Pakistan, I travelled within the country and overseas with my diplomat father. Trained as a Graphic Designer, my artistic journey has been that of an explorer. Working in a variety of mediums, pastels are the medium of preference.
Often enjoying an “explosion” of colours, I find working with a limited palette equally thrilling. Light cascading over forms, natural or manmade, is the driving force that compels me to paint as I stives to capture a specific moment in time.
Portraits, figurative art and landscapes are the themes I am currently painting. Since 1976 I have exhibited in group and solo shows in United Kingdom, USA, Canada, Pakistan and Dubai and awarded for portraiture and abstract paintings, namely 2003 Opem International Portrait Competition in Toronto.
In 2004 I moved to Kelowna after a 13 year stay in Dubai. As an art educator for over 25 years, I was honoured to be the recipient for the Art Educator Award for the Okanagan Arts Awards 2009. Teaching for me is exciting as I find joy in my students’ journey for self expression and I firmly believe it enriches me as an artist. Currently teaching a variety of classes in Kelowna, West Kelowna and Vernon.
- 2009, Art Educator Award, Okanagan Arts Awards, Canada.
- 2004, Camel Caravan, Public Art Charity Program, Dubai, UAE.
- 2003, Top Finalist, International Portrait Competition, Portrait Society of Canada, Toronto, Canada.
- 2003, Honourable mention, 12th Annual Open Juried Show, Pastel Society of Canada.
- 1987 & 1988, Abstract Painting, Sind Artists Exhibition, Karachi, Pakistan.
- 1986, Honourable Mention, Abstract Painting, Friendship House, Karachi, Pakistan.
- 1975, Poster Designing, Dow Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan
- Northwest Pastel Society, Bellingham, WA, USA
- Livessence, Kelowna, BC, Canada
- Canadian Portrait Academy
- Rotary Center for the Arts, Kelowna
- Kelowna Art Gallery
- Kelowna & District Arts Council
- Vernon Community Arts Centre
- Lake Country Art Gallery
Monday - Thursday
9:00am to 9:00pm
9:00am to 5:00pm
9:00am to 5:00pm
Vernon Community Arts Centre
2704A Hwy 6, Vernon, BC V1T 5G5